Add chicken to this flavorful soup to make it more filling. This soup is a great way to get lots of veggies. It does take a lot of dicing but it requires very little cleanup–just a knife and cutting board besides the pot. I’ll often leave out the beans and add a yellow squash instead. You can kind of put in whatever veggies you’d like.
If you’re making it gluten free, you can easily add gluten free rotini instead of macaroni.
Nice garlicky soup with lots of veggies.
- 1 1/2 – 2 lb. Chicken, cubed (optional)
- 1 can (16 oz.) Kidney Beans, drained (optional)
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- ¼ c. chopped fresh Parsley (optional)
- 1 small, unpeeled Zucchini, diced
- 2 ribs Celery with leaves, finely chopped
- 2 small Carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 small Onion, minced
- 1 can (14 ½ oz.) Diced Tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 ½ c. Water
- 1/3 c. uncooked Elbow Macaroni (or gluten free rotini)
- ½ c. Beef Broth
- Salt to taste
If using the chicken, add a little oil to the bottom of the pot and cook the chicken. Then remove to a bowl. Mash beans slightly in pot. Stir in ingredients from garlic to parsley. Then add zucchini to water. Add back chicken. Boil, then reduce heat, cover, simmer 1 hour. Add more water if needed. Add macaroni and beef broth. Simmer 15 minutes until macaroni is tender.